Bryan Adams

I became a vegan for my health 20 years ago. I abide by the rule that if it looks like it's going to clog your system, it probably will. People don't understand about me being vegan, but I'm not a preacher, I simply have my view on what works for me. It would be wonderful to convince people without having to say much. For example, I'm very slim due to my diet. When I see men and women my age with their guts hanging over their trousers I wish someone was able to explain the benefits of diet, and that they are likely to be toxic and blocked from the things they've eaten.

I start my day with fruit juice and a mixed fruit salad. Dinner is salads or, if I'm not on a raw-food diet, then pasta or something veggie that's cooked. If I'm in the studio then the food tends to be garbage for the most part, unless you're lucky enough to have it catered in. I have been known to bring avocados to the set with lemons. When I lived in France we got a local fella to come and prepare vegetarian food which was the best - he still works for us on tour today. We bring a juicer, so my rider is just fruit and veggies and some nuts and dried fruits. An army doesn't march on an empty stomach.

It can still be hard to get vegetarian food in restaurants. I ate at the Ivy recently and was given a tomato sauce with beans that had pork in it. This was after I had asked the waiter if the soup contained chicken stock. People have tried to serve me food that has meat in it dozens of times, but I stick to salads if I see that coming. There have been restaurants that have insisted their soups are vegetarian, when I can smell the meat stock. When I'm travelling, whether you can find vegetarian or vegan food depends on where you are: in some places it's incredibly easy, India being the easiest, Spain the hardest. They've never heard of vegetarians there.

I don't really drink alcohol unless it's my birthday, when I've resorted to having a tequlia shot or someone has opened a great bottle of wine. I really like virgin mojitos. When I come offstage, I'll drink green or herbal tea. My favorite salads are raw artichoke hearts with chives, lemon and olive oil; rocket salads with cherry tomatoes and thinly sliced fennel; and grated raw broccoli with a light dressing of soy sauce, lemon and olive oil.

I live by myself in London. I love to cook and entertain friends and family. My signature dishes are definitely salads but I do tend to get good ideas from restaurants - the Lebanese Maroush in London or Quintessence in New York where they serve raw, organic vegan food. I ate recently in New Orleans and the chef kept sending things over we hadn't ordered. That's a kind of creativity I could never do so spontaneously - I'd need a cookery book.

Fennel
Another example of the unprocessed foods that dominate Bryan's diet. I believe the merits of veganism are somewhat overstated. But, generally, Bryan's diet is very healthy.

Avocado
Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fat, which has a variety of heart-healthy properties. They also offer up a decent portion of protein, especially for a fruit, which helps sate the appetite.

Pasta
The main constituent of pasta is refined flour, a nutritional non-starter. And let's not forget that flour and water make glue - hardly ideal for someone keen not to clog his system.

Dried fruit and nuts
Nuts will provide protein which can be deficient in the vegan diet. They are also rich in monounsaturated fat and other nutrients beneficial to the cardiovascular system. Dried fruit is also relatively healthy - not just for vegan rock stars, but other mortals too.

Raw artichoke hearts
Artichoke, like green tea, is rich in polyphenols - something that we hope might translate into some real benefits for Bryan's long-term health.

Green tea
Green tea is rich in polyphenols that have been linked with a range of potential benefits for health including relative protection from cancer and a metabolism-boosting effect.

Tequila
If Bryan was downing shedloads of drink on a daily basis there might be something to say here. However, seeing as he is nearly teetotal, I'm going to suggest he enjoys his occasional tipple.


· Bryan Adams is a supporter of PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

Source: The Guardian

0 comentarios: